This month, my family is doing our first “real food” experiment. We are cutting out processed foods and sugar for a whole month! I’m excited, but I’m also nervous. I love, love, love my one sweet treat a day. I also love to eat good, healthy meals, too. So we are going to do a month of real food, with real delicious food. That’s where the granola comes in!
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It gets you going and provides energy so that you can get things done! This granola recipe is great because of its versatility. You can take it and make it what you want. Plus, it is super simple and packed with protein and vitamins. Not only is this granola simple and healthy, it stores well too. Make a great big batch and you can store it anywhere from 2-4 weeks… if you don’t eat it all before then!
This recipe has an oat base and then you can choose from a variety of goodies to personalize your granola. This way you can make it different each time if you like variety, or just figure out what your favorite combo is and make that every time!
- Granola Base:
- 4 cups rolled oats (personal preference here—I like a high oats to goodies ratio)
- 1-2 cup nuts
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup chips
- 1 cup wheat germ*
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- Mix oats, wheat germ, spices and the goodies of your choice in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the liquids and salt, then pour over oat mixture. Stir together with a spatula until everything is coated evenly.
- Spread mixture onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes. Stir every 10 minutes to bake evenly.
- Let it cool and pour yourself a bowl of Granola. Or sprinkle some over your yogurt and fruit… or just grab a handful to snack on!!
Some great options for nuts and other goodies to experiment with: almond slices, pecan pieces, cashews, shredded coconut, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flaxseed, raisins, dried cranberries or other dried fruit, vanilla, chocolate or peanut butter chips and other spices like ginger, cloves, pumpkin pie spice, etc.
1. Mix oats, wheat germ, spices and the goodies of your choice (3-4 cups total) in a large mixing bowl.
I chose 1 cup sunflower seeds, pecan pieces, almond slices and unsweetened coconut
2. Combine the liquids and salt, then pour over oat mixture. Stir together with a spatula until everything is coated evenly.
I like to put the oil in first, then when I measure the honey, salt and vanilla in and mix it up, it doesn’t stick to the sides.
3. Spread mixture onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes. Stir every 10 minutes to bake evenly.
4. Let it cool and pour yourself a bowl of Granola. Or sprinkle some over your yogurt and fruit… or just grab a handful to snack on!!
Now you are ready for a good snack!!
Granola needs to be stored in an airtight container. If storing in the pantry at room temperature, it will last up to 2-3 weeks just fine. I sometimes store mine in the refrigerator and it lasts even longer…
*Note: Wheat Germ is the heart of the wheat berry. It has a nutty flavor and is packed with nutrition. Wheat germ adds dietary fiber, folic acid and vitamin E as well as protein to the granola.